Starting with 1st June 2019, judges of the Land Register Divisions are to be incorporated in the district (city) courts

On 25th October 2018 the Parliament (Saeima) adopted amendments to the Law on the Judiciary Power and on 1st November 2018 amendments were adopted to the Law on Land Registers too, providing that starting with 1st June 2019, judges of the Land Register Divisions are to be fully incorporated in the district (city) courts.

The reform is aimed at increasing efficiency of courts, reducing workload, ensuring specialization, as well reducing duration of examination of cases and using resources in an efficient manner.

From here on out, registering of an immovable property and corroborating rights shall fall under the competence of a district (city) court. Judges from Land Register Divisions will still be specialized in the land register cases but now will work under the district (city) courts, thus allowing them to examine other cases too in line with the case distribution plan of the district (city) court. Even today judges from the Land Register Divisions examine not only corroboration requests but also certain applications to be examined in line with the procedure provided for in the Civil Procedure Law.

Once the reform is done, operations of the court will take place in the locations of the existing land register divisions too. It will be possible to lodge documents at any court location according to the client’s choice. Furthermore, all court locations will be positioned to certify signatures on the corroboration requests. The case file documents will be issued in the court location where the respective case was examined (or through the post if requested by the client).

The reform will not change the procedure of submission of the corroboration requests, an neither it will change the duration of examination of corroboration requests. All corroboration requests still will need to be examined within ten days. Following 1st June 2019, all corroboration requests can also be submitted to the existing locations of the Land Register Divisions. It will be possible to submit additional documents to any of the court locations.

Additional information:
There are several alternatives to submitting corroboration requests in person:
- corroboration requests can be submitted by the use of postal services,
- starting with 1st May 2015, all sworn notaries must send an electronic corroboration request to the Land Register Division in case the transaction takes place as a notarial deed,
- if a person has a court order, document issued by the construction board, privatization agreement or a decision made by the State Land Service or land commission concerning novation of the ownership rights and if the person uses e-signature, the corroboration request can be submitted electronically via Land Register’s website,
- if the individuals conclude the transactions themselves without the involvement of a sworn notary (or if a sworn notary certifies signatures only), the corroboration request can be submitted by the use of postal services or with the intermediation of a sworn notary.

Translation from Latvian
Requests for information that can be issued without the permission of the chief of the Land Register Division must be submitted to the Court Administration. That means that the following must be submitted to the Court Administration:
- requests for the issue of true copies of the divisions if such information is requested specifying the division number or property’s cadaster number, or name of the property, or address of sites in the composition of the property,
- requests of the owner of an immovable property concerning properties owned by him or her,
- requests of institutions or officials concerning immovable properties owned by a person,
- requests of the institutions of the owner of the immovable property concerning the issue of electronic documents or obtained electronic documents.
Information requests must be submitted to the Court Administration through the post or in person (6 Antonijas Street, Riga, LV-1010) or electronically by signing the request with a secure electronic signature or by authorizing through any of the authorization tools available on, e.g. access information used in online banking system. In other cases when information can be received (just like before) with the permission of a chief of the Land Register Division, the said information request must be submitted to the respective district (city) court.